Peacock Premium

Ratings and reviews:

2010
Sci-fi, Suspense/Thriller
Inception is smart, rare, and very entertaining. I honestly don't think it'll be easy to top something like this masterpiece for me. The visual effects and cinematography are very well-done and the score is beautiful phenomenal. Acting was really good and it's completely character driven. I watch this every time it's on t.v., and I could probably watch it every day and my love for it would still not die. It continues to resonate with me emotionally too. Easily my all-time favorite movie.
Superiorly constructed; smart exposition escalates a complex plot, retaining clarity while managing to embed ambiguous elements. They provide, yes, an inception of the suspicion of an unreliable world that proves triumphantly pertinent to the poignant emotional core of the film and a superb thematic fit with the sci-fi world of the ontological mindfuck. Fascinating concepts abound (subconscious security/time dilation/limbo), leaving no room for clearly defined rules. Most entertaining film ever?
Inception is not a lot of things. It's not a psychological examination into the subconscious nor is it a complex character study. So don't expect it to be one. Instead, the film aspires to be a mindbending adventure heist film set in the realms of dreams and in this regard, the film is flawless. With jawdropping and visceral sequences, it not only engages the intellect but also the emotions as it deals with guilt and loss and being haunted by your past.
There's only one problem: I didn't give a f*ck about Cobb's wife, Cobb's children, and Cobb's feeling of guilt. Not a bit. Unfortunately, almost the whole movie was about that.
The more I think about this movie, the more it pisses me off. I guess having a dozen shitty subplots, terrible dialogue and a gross misuse of concept lead to something being "movie of the year." And to think that people are actually claiming that it challenges the audience's intelligence. Well, I didn't feel challenged, I felt insulted. But, hey, it's like #4 on IMDB so I clearly don't know shit, right?
Why most people liked this movie: http://inception.davepedu.com/
Too airless, too keen on wooden exposition, too hesitant to commit to any real dream logic, too nail-on-the-head in its philosophizing. But in how it cleverly acknowledges movies as collective dream spaces (car chase? assault on a snow bunker straight out of James Bond?), in its understanding of how we forge meaning and affect through the creation of narrative (the manipulation of Murphy's character), it's a definite success, and Mal -- a physical manifestation of memory -- was actually scary.
Nolan has previously made some great films, but this is the first time he's hit it out of the park. It ain't perfect but it's obvious here that Nolan has learned a lot from his previous films: successfully jumping between multiple levels while keeping suspense high and providing the viewer with plenty of information for repeat viewings but keeping it coherent on the first viewing shows a lot of skill. After all the hype and the wait it's great to have something that leaves you satisfied.
Well, that's my score if the film is serious. On the other hand, if it's Nolan trolling the internet nerds who think he's the best filmmaker of all time, Inception is damn near perfect.
I've probably never had to concentrate as hard as I had to during this film, but it was still a fantastic movie, and for such a complex and innovative storyline, it's surprisingly rather solid. Definitely a contender for the film of this year.
Here's an analogy: Inception is to The Matrix what Brave New World is to Nineteen Eighty-Four. I always found Huxley's idea of a populace that drugs itself into submission more scary than Orwell's totalitarian dystopia, and it's probably for the same reason that Inception is more intriguing to me than The Matrix. The Matrix is based on the idea that an evil outside force has pulled the wool over our eyes; Inception is about the way people have the capacity to do that same thing to themselves.
As the storyline takes it's enjoyable onion-structured form, one might suspect Inception is trying to appear more intelligent than it actually is. With strong performances and striking visuals, the film is marvellous to look at, and often emotionally engaging - but there is all too little of the existential mindfuck that could have made this an instant classic. The 'what if' ending is the unnecessary cherry on top of a cake that never tastes as sweet as it could have - and should have.
This is how to make a summer blockbuster. Nolan consistently bombards our brain with new and exciting ideas while also crafting an insanely well-structured thriller that works on (literally) a ton of different levels. Not perfect - side characters could have done with much more development - but one of the best movies to come out of Hollywood in just about forever.
You might be disappointed if you're looking for a movie that explores dreams. This is a movie that explores art and artists and it is absolutely brilliant.
You know what, I'm getting really sick of this Christopher Nolan guy and his lauded films. The man needs to take a page out of nearly every other successful director's book: have a flop once in a while! You don't ALWAYS need to make a film with great care, expertise and passion! I'm sorry, I don't mean to rant. I'm just so tired of this man's awesome films.
The construction is very elegant and admirably coherent most of the time, which makes it very entertaining and watchable while being more complex and thoughtful than most action fare. If it has a problem, it's that a film about dreaming shouldn't be so unimaginative and literal-minded.
(Memento + The Matrix)/2 = Inception. 100 for concept, 80 for execution. Despite some nitpicks with the plot and universe mechanics, and many pointless action and eye-candy sequences, I loved it. The core concept is hardly original but the depth to which it is expanded is very admirable for a major production, and heck, even if not original the concept is just mentally DELICIOUS.
This tackles some deep concepts, and does so with the help of some awe-inspiring action sequences, fantastic set pieces, great cinematography, and first class performances by the entire cast. There are some weak points: the exposition felt forced, some concepts weren't fully explained, and a few scenes felt underwhelming. But it didn't prevent this from being a fantastic film.
An original movie? A plot that doesn't spell everything out for you? No 'comic relief' character? I'd almost given up hope. Inception is brilliantly conceived and flawlessly executed story, switching effortlessly between the emotional drama and Bond level action set-pieces. Flaws? Some of the supporting cast don't get much development as they could, leaving their characters feeling a little thin as a result. Overall though Nolan has created an excellent movie, highly recommended.
I would dare to say that exactly 97.8% of people who have seen this movie finished it and their immediate reaction was a variation of "wtf" and "my mind just exploded". This mind-blowing movie was so far from the ordinary that I had to see it at least three times to even comprehend it. "Inception" has probably inspired our generation to attempt "extraction"; whether this is a good thing or bad is totally debatable. My one quandary with this movie is it's a very stereotypical Leo DiCaprio role.
I hate everyone complaining that it was a confusing movie. The only part I found hard to understand was why anyone would ever have a wallet worth $500! All that aside, Inception was brilliant proof why Leonardo DiCaprio is one of the best actors of our time and why Christopher Nolan is one of the best directors of ALL time! Great story, great cinematography, great acting all around!
A great, interesting story, very well made, almost all the actors are superb, but there is something missing. It just didn't make me care for Cobb and his life, plus all the other characters were not developed at all and I just didn't care if they make it or not. Also the ending (last five seconds or so) just pissed me off, it would have been much better without it. But in the end it is an exceptionally well made film and I left the theater thoroughly entertained and amazed.
There's not a single thing wrong with this movie and very few scenes are short of perfection. A true masterpiece that will be nearly impossible to top for years.
A fantastically thought-provoking, high-concept sci-fi/heist film that, in the hands of practically any other director, would turn out muddied and forgettable. But Nolan scripts and paces this so brilliantly that there are literal and figurative levels upon levels, and so many ideas/minute. It's so tight that the conceptual exposition never feels superfluous, giving the audience just enough to follow along. Is the ending ambiguous, or did Nolan tip us off somewhere? Endless debates will ensue!
How often does a film come along where the concept is completely original and brilliantly complex yet feels entirely plausible. Not since the Matrix has a film covered new ground so fantastically. Perhaps the plot focuses too heavily on the main character to the detriment of the development of the support cast but the sumptuous visuals and flawless execution of an amazing concept have created an all time classic.