La La Land

La La Land

2016

Rated 15 Jan 2017
I'm not trying to be intentionally contrarian, but literally everything about this movie is lacking except the cinematography. The obvious references. The repetitive (and really subpar) singing/dancing. The paper thin theme, story and characters. I get that it's a musical, and that the genre isn't exactly my thing, but this is just so vacuous. Seriously, I can dance better than Gosling, and I'm a 30 year old Canadian whose dog has better moves.
Rated 06 Mar 2017
I thought this was a very well-made movie! If you don't like musicals, this may not be up your ally. I for one thought all of the music and choreography was fantastic. Gosling and Stone both play their hearts out. Damien Chazelle's directing and writing are straight-up phenomenal as well. His use of lighting and angles are all really good. I can see why this was so praised. Definitely one of the best musicals I have seen and one of the best movies of 2016. If you missed this, make plans!
Rated 21 Jan 2017
What a boring fucking movie. The main protagonists are pretentious art students lacking in charisma or believability. The songs are often times intrusive to the plot and add nothing to the story, made worse by the fact that the songs themselves are typical broadway musical crap and they rarely utilize actual jazz. The conflict is extremely forced and is resolved in the most disingenuous and ham-fisted way imaginable. This is easily one of the most overrated films of 2016. I don't get the appeal.
Rated 04 Jan 2017
The only significant moment in this shit was when the film burned in "Rebel Without a Cause". Apart from that, pure shallow, heterosexist, success-oriented superficial update of American dream. Make every scene look like a pink-pastry and voila! You have a movie adored by ignorant herd of mass culture. It's so sad where contemporary culture is heading. Pure waste of time.
Rated 22 Dec 2016
Only musical-dissenters and the very cynical will find themselves outcast by the film's overwhelmingly upbeat and joyous tone. They likely don't deserve such happiness anyway.
Rated 18 Jan 2017
Sure, La La Land is a little masturbatory, but Damien Chazelle NAILS another film. He's on a role. It's well-choreographed for actors probably not classically trained in dancing, it's well-acted, more notably Stone than Gosling (surprisingly), and it's incredibly and nostalgically directed. Definitely will be a big Oscar film.
Rated 21 Jan 2017
I get that Chazelle is trying to do something interesting combining nostalgic musical melodrama with more down to earth drama about the cost of dreams & so forth but it's a really awkward fit with a script that soft pedals both. Instead of complementing one another the two elements deter each other in certain key moments. There are some wonderful scenes & a lot of fine craft but the drama is muddled as a whole & mostly shines in incidental bits. Didn't quite earn that poignant ending for me.
Rated 20 Jan 2017
It's a Jazz Musical about a vapid WASP who is fanatical about a genre few WASPs have ever shown interest in, containing no real jazz music. And by this I think Chazelle creates the perfect musical metaphor for his own kind of Oscar-bait cinema, in which perfectish WASPy non-characters overcome self-imposed non-problems to fulfill a kitschy fantasy of white and especially male entitlement. That is, no real cinema.
Rated 23 Feb 2017
I almost jazzed in my pants. Yuck. Full review: Ryan Gosling is very likable, and no Gene Kelly.
Rated 27 Dec 2016
Okay, y'know what? I am not a huge musical fan. But, this film drilled through my reservations, and allowed me to actually enjoy a little toe tapping. Maybe it's because of stupid, sexy Gosling? This film gets real meta, and it's both about a love for old Hollywood, while producing a new work based on those cliches. The last scene alone made me want to stand up and clap like one of those assholes in the theatre.
Rated 05 Jan 2017
Fresh right from the unabashedly joyous opening song to its road rage at first sight (such humour is tastefully dotted throughout). Their ever-after isn't what it could have been either, but the plot's interplay between love and individual aspiration (each are marvelously portrayed by Gosling and Stone) shows it isn't necessarily a bad thing-a nuance that adds depth to the film's cute romance and gorgeous aesthetic of dream-like colours and camerawork, scrumptious sets, and magical music.
Rated 22 Jan 2017
La La Land is my favourite film of 2016 and it surpassed my incredibly high expectations. Damien Chazelle's thorough understanding and passion for music translates beautifully on screen. And the transition from dialogue to singing is seamless throughout. Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone are a timeless pairing and they are stunning together. The performances, soundtrack, cinematography, lighting, choreography, styling & costumes are all immaculately presented and the whole experience is just joyous.
Rated 19 Dec 2016
Bitter-sweet and totally captivating. On the surface it works for romantic movie suckers, but it has an unusual amount of depth. It's also freaking gorgeous to look at, super colourful, and has wonderful set pieces.
Rated 16 Jan 2017
Swish cinematography, nifty editing and fancy montages cannot save this bland quasi-musical boy-meets-girl tale everyone's seen a million times before. As musicals go (and I wish they would) it's too morose and calculated to be enjoyable, and it fails as a drama due to the intrusive song and dance routines. To add insult to injury the songs themselves are insipid, and the two leads' singing and dancing abilities are underwhelming.
Rated 21 Feb 2017
Shallow and naive. Watching it was a dragging experience. Stone wants to be an actress and that's everything about her. Gosling wants to establish a jazz club and that's everything about him. Chazelle proves again that he can't write characters. And all this jabbering about Jazz music made me angry. Like the music isn't alive and well and could only be saved by this clishéd bullshit.
Rated 26 Feb 2017
A story about two self-obsessed, untalented artists who suck at getting along with anyone but themselves. In summary: I WANT TO PLAY REAL JAZZ. NOT SOME SELL OUT BULLSHIT. LISTEN TO MY MASTERPIECE: * plays a shitty pop song *
Rated 02 Jan 2017
This could have simply been a masturbatory but well-made tribute to movie classics (a la The Artist), but instead it may be a new musical classic in its own right. Captures a rare sense of magic, and makes a passionate argument for making passionate projects. The final scene is a masterwork.
Rated 31 Dec 2016
I missed you. I don't know if I mean Ryan Gosling or musicals?
Rated 16 Dec 2016
*first scene begins* 'yo how the fuck--'
Rated 12 Jan 2017
Definitely one of my favourite musical films. It's an homage to the age of Singin' In The Rain but it has that modern edge. Damien Chazelle sure knows how to do a film with music and his musicality in the storytelling is amazing. One pet peeve I always have with musicals is heavy-handed transitions from dialogue to song, but he handled them so intricately and so masterfully. Great music and performances from the cast too and that last sequence, just phwooar. A great cinematic experience!
Rated 25 Feb 2017
La La Land is a perfectly fine, enjoyable, charismatic piece of entertainment that feels thinly sketched and somewhat dramatically contrived, which often coasts on the strength of its lead actors' charms and some handsome production design to mask its weaknesses, and which would never have been nominated for so many awards if the entertainment industry weren't so narcissistic and transparent about their desire to jerk themselves off. Also...where were the songs? This is a musical!
Rated 25 May 2018
This movie and I started out on the wrong foot - in that I wanted the San Andreas fault to crack open and devour everyone dancing and singing in the opening act. From there on out, it won me back to the extend that I found the Hollywood romanticizing mildly amusing. But ultimately even the charm of the leads couldn't mask the fact that their relationship lacked any depth at all, and the drama was basically none-existing, making the final "what could have been" scene particularly ridiculous
Rated 01 Jan 2017
Not really for me I guess. Thought the romantic elements of the story were contrived and based way too heavily on coincidences. The struggling artists trope is just something I can barely stand anymore. It's nearly always a combination of smugness and making themselves a victim because they think all us normies don't understand them. The Fools Who Dream song was particularly nauseating. The film has some good moments and is shot well, but without a good story those don't do much for me.
Rated 26 Feb 2017
Far from la la lame, but a bit scattershot. And I think I would have liked it even more if the leads were more fun. Nonetheless, I did find myself engaged throughout, and I really liked the ending. Also, the amazing choreography and unbelievably brilliant camerawork in the opening scene of the film (a song on a freeway) was intoxicating. I just wish that Chazelle had had a few more showstoppers like that up his sleeve.
Rated 24 Jan 2017
Was awarded 14 nominations by the Academy.
Rated 18 Jan 2017
Whilst LLL is a joyful homage to the heady days of the Hollywood musical era, the cleverness of this film is that it is firmly rooted in the 21st Century, with our hero's lives cruelly affected by the realities, complications and separations of modern life. The songs & dancing were not huge over-rehearsed Busby Berkeley numbers from a bygone age, but were flawed, stripped and real, and complimented by a great script to make a truely wonderful film. Stone and Goslings chemistry was simply superb.
Rated 14 Jan 2017
Continually mystified by critics and viewers claiming that Damien Chazelle is a great filmmaker and/or writer. His limited viewpoint is even more of a hindrance here than in "Whiplash." Unable to commit to or understand the over-the-top whimsy of early movie musicals which it is referencing, most numbers in this film fall flat. The movie only superficially touches on the experience of living in L.A. (and more specifically within the industry milieu) without truly understanding it.
Rated 13 Jan 2017
What a magical and poignant joyride! It had me smiling and tapping my feet from the start. The music was so enrapturing and vibrant, the visuals absolutely stunning. (The planetarium scene, my goodness!) Storytelling was so romantic yet efficient. The couple was so cute. The dilemma posed to us is intriguing, and I'm not the least bit sad because of the beauty that it produced. It captured not only my imagination but the rest of my brain too as I was unable to function afterwards. Perfect!
Rated 03 Jan 2017
There's something just a tad too calculated about it. The biggest problem was the songs. They weren't bad at all, but just not especially amazing or memorable. In a musical, that's a fatal flaw. It also doesn't help that Gosling & Stone aren't strong singers, but they did give good performances. However, there were moments that I thought were truly transcendent. The camerawork throughout was fantastic & the cinematography & costumes were beautiful. Way over-hyped, but it was nice.
Rated 30 May 2017
The story, however thin, shanked me multiple times then twisted my insides into an inoperable mess - because, let's simply say, I've had these conversations, and resembled the themes. But this personal intimacy revealed a void in the film - there is no grand takeaway, no prevailing moral, outside regressive tropes. It lacked a key integrity or authenticity. I am the first to say musicals are a form of magical realism - but they must then reveal the magic in the real. Which here, felt wanting.
Rated 21 Jan 2017
Whether or not musicals are your thing, it's arguable that all but the most cynical viewers would agree it isn't without merit. Yet for all its buoyant exuberance and nostalgic appeal, the film is decidedly light on obstacles or a compelling conflict for its characters to overcome, despite striking a similar note with Chazelle's previous effort in regards to the risks undertaken and sacrifices made by those pursuing their dreams. But I doubt we’ll ever see a musical as beautifully made as this.
Rated 13 Jan 2017
This one is endearing in a way that few movies really are, it's the kind of movie that you like while you're watching it but don't realize you truly love until you still can't get it out of your head a week later. Dazzling, delightful and brilliant directed and acted, La La Land really is one of those movies that reminds you why you love going to the movies. Honestly can't get enough of this one.
Rated 09 Nov 2017
La La Land maybe got some undue praise & I myself will admit that I actually strongly disliked the first 10-15 minutes of it. I thought that the first two numbers were on par with a Gap or a Coke ad. I ended up liking the film ultimately, despite its flaws. More importantly, I think La La Land has a lesson that more films & filmmakers should take notice of: stick the landing. I feel like too many films just kind of peter out. La La Land ends super strong and I give it a lot of credit for that.
Rated 08 Jan 2017
What an absolutely phenomenal movie. It was timeless in every sense and that helped play up the idea of a modern musical even more.
Rated 28 Jan 2017
Gosling and Stone are not the most physically talented leads for a musical, but they do have incredible comedic and dramatic chemistry. The music is fair, not brilliant. It's a beautiful film, wonderfully made, but not wholly original or unforgettable for any particular reason. Stone's performance is the strongest bit; she masterfully displays a wide range of emotions. Overall, it's a fun movie, but then it tries to take a serious turn that feels forced. Kept me from truly loving it.
Rated 23 Jan 2017
This film is bolstered by its gorgeous cinematography... and that's about it. Otherwise, La La Land serves us with masturbatory nostalgia and vacant characters, all set to a forgettable soundtrack. Like cool, a hetero white couple has some shallow problems and it ends bitter-sweetly to appease Oscar audiences. I think what bothered me the most is that the movie kind of skipped the most interesting character building through montage (early dating, Stone's failed play, etc.) to reach the "drama".
Rated 15 Jan 2017
it's almost impossible to withstand that amount of sweetness forced on you, it's like finding a box of kittens in the rain. i could feel that dark lump of coal in my chest beating for a second, but then my hand slipped to a resounding e-minor on my organ and i snapped out of it. and while probably everyone will agree that this is well acted, executed and what not, i hardly think that patting itself on the shoulder for refurbishing the past yet again is the thing hollywood needs to do right now.
Rated 02 Feb 2019
An impressive movie which has its roots firmly planted in classic Hollywood. The cinematography and choreography are amazing especially in some of the long single takes.
Rated 04 Jan 2019
I loved this film so much and found almost no imperfections. I expect this to be a favourite film of mine for a long time.
Rated 31 Jan 2017
THE STORIES ARE TRUE! WONDERFUL THINGS HAPPEN TO BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE, IN HOLLYWOOD!
Rated 28 Feb 2017
Why do they always make movies about Los Angeles? Seriously, like 1% of the population lives there, but 90% of the movies are about people who live there. Sure, nobody gives a shit about Des Moines, but I for one would love to hear about the love triangle between a guy from Scranton, a woman from Wilkes-Barre, and a third person who doesn't know how to pronounce Wilkes-Barre. Or Schuykill. Seriously, Fuck LA
Rated 09 Jun 2017
The script is cliched, the songs aren't memorable and the dance cheoreography is average at best. Gosling and Stone's characters are not that interesting, even for average joe's/jane's, though they play them well, and the mix of nostalgic musical and semi-realistic romantic drama doesn't always work. It has been overpraised for what it represents rather than what it is: a reasonably well crafted, aesthetically pleasing, mildly ambitious modernised throwback from a young director. That's it.
Rated 04 Apr 2017
It just took me 11 minutes and 52 seconds to understand how lame this movie was.
Rated 10 Jan 2017
There's a certain irony, even profundity in that the film's restless showmanship and struggle to succeed are also the very things that split these lovers apart. The final montage is an intoxicating reminder of what life could be if we'd just take better care of each other.
Rated 12 Nov 2017
Hearkens to classic musicals without most of what made them great (the actors aren't very good at singing and dancing) and with much of what made them bad (terrible communication skills a crutch for dramatic tension). Then there's the cliched be-all end-all of following your first-world dream. But I appreciate films paying tribute to the classics, and glad people can still appreciate a musical. I enjoyed the stylish cinematography, and Gosling's piano playing blew me away.
Rated 25 Feb 2017
Hey this movie is set in Los Santos
Rated 25 Dec 2016
Full of so many impossible to forget images, sounds, and two young actors with arguably the best chemistry in American cinema right now. And the camera is there to present those elements to you so you can notice and appreciate them - this can not be overstated. To have a filmmaker so at the top of his game. At the end of the day, when you go home, the thought may occur - this was a film about two white people in LA following their dreams, who cares? The experience counts.
Rated 03 Jan 2017
This one hits all the right notes and knows all the steps!
Rated 30 Nov 2017
A simple love story with a amazing production team and a great direction creates an outstanding theatrical experience that's complemented by the small tidbits of musicality that are found through all of it. The strongest point is definitely the production value of the piece, the set design and light teams took the film from a simple musical to a very beautiful nostalgic adventure while the audio team made even whistling on screen sound lovely.
Rated 30 Dec 2016
Where Mullholland Drive is the nightmare version of an aspiring Hollywood actress, this film is the dream version (albeit tempered). Music, dancing, singing largely unexceptional, reminding me of film adaptation of Chicago. Stone's acting and the terrific montage sequence save the movie for me. Chazelle's 1st film, a mumblecore musical, is more interesting and inspiring.
Rated 17 Dec 2016
Chazelle's follow-up to Whiplash is a project he had been trying to get off the ground a couple years before Whiplash. It really is a passion project and it shows as Chazelle very much respects a genre of film that barely sees the light of day. The film becomes less interesting towards the end when it starts moving away from being a musical, but it's still very charming. I had a smile on my face throughout.
Rated 11 Dec 2016
Chazelle is a visionary but I didn't walk out of this movie in a daze the same way I felt after Whiplash. Chazelle uses a simple premise - two people falling in and out of love - and wraps it in a musical. The problem is that his passion lies more in the musical aspect, at which he more than excels. But the story is too simple. There are interesting moments, like Gosling brushing past Stone when it should be love at first sight. Still enchanting but I wanted more, I wanted what I saw in whiplash
Rated 15 Mar 2017
for a musical with few memorable songs by an aesthetically talented but shallow director and largely awful writer with leads who can't dance, can't really sing and can barely act, it's ok. the amateurish/artificial quality might've worked had he committed more coherently to sending up its influences, but it felt like 2nd-rate, risk free homage kept getting in the way. shame; had the ending been attached to something i believed in (bojack s01e11 comes to mind), it could've wrecked me.
Rated 06 Sep 2017
Disappointing ending, but overall very entertaining and well executed and stylized. I definitely enjoyed watching this film a lot.
Rated 26 Jun 2017
It does not matter how many awards this film has. I'm also not interested in those dramatic moments because of the only one major issue: having no sense of originality in terms of plot. The cinematography, cast, and soundtrack are perfect fit for that kind of film. However it's not all about music, actors or director performances. Story arc shouldn't be ignored. The disappointing thing was the cliché "career vs. love" storyline which the film centered around. Guess I got my hopes up too high.
Rated 10 Apr 2017
'La La Land' is by far one of the finest cinema experiences I have had in the past 5-10 years, and although this isn't a film I would typically enjoy (genre-wise), Chazelle has instead crafted one of my favourite films of this decade. A film I would recommend everyone see in the cinema to truly witness the CinemaScope magic.
Rated 06 Jan 2017
Fun, clever, gorgeous, and magnificent . . . and that's just Ryan Gosling. The rest of the film provides a sturdy stage for, matches, or even enhances his presence. A work of complete skill, charm, beauty, and depth. Incredibly incredible, and, believe me, the redundancy is necessary.
Rated 28 May 2017
Once I was past the implausibility of that many hipsters being stuck in the same traffic jam, I began to find this rather lovely. The versatile central musical score is fantastic; on demand punchy and forceful, or delicate and melancholy. It's wonderfully shot and lit also, Stone is fantastic and the bittersweet finale was pitch perfect. A support cast consisting of drama students and John Legend do it no favours at all, but it largely lives up to the hype.
Rated 28 Feb 2017
Dripping with a shallow nostalgia (for a period when passion played no greater part in production than now, really). But as a dancing lyric on the pro-con balance of passion vs practicality - living one's own dream without reservation for the cost - I thought it hit home well. A fun celebration of entertainment.
Rated 31 Dec 2016
Chazelle's tribute to Hollywood's Golden Age Musicals never really comes together or works, despite some fine individual elements -- the opening freeway musical number is an absolute blast, and Stone and Gosling prove themselves fine dancers. Chazelle lacks the light touch the material really needs, not helped by Gosling's overly intense performance - it's a shame the screenplay (with echoes of Scorsese's NEW YORK NEW YORK) never provides insight into these ultimately unlikable characters.
Rated 01 Jan 2017
A moving, inspiring portrait of the type of unflagging hope and resilience required to turn creative ability into a dream profession. The thoughtfully drawn lives of the 2 leads reflect the kinds of sacrifices - in art & life- required even when they're not sharing their feelings out loud in some beautifully written & staged musical sequences, especially the inventive what-if montage at the end. If there's a flaw its a too precious middle & Chazelles unconvincing pro-jazz argument.
Rated 22 Mar 2018
Let's be clear: this is a musical. People are actually dancing and singing to poppy, colorful set pieces and cheerful melodies. It's still mostly enjoyable, but very cheesy. Most of the six musical sequences are bordering on the over-the-top, and if this was pulled off a little bit worse, the result would be catastrophic. But it works well; I can't remember one sequence where I felt really uncomfortable. That's all the praise I can give: a musical I ... enjoyed.
Rated 09 Mar 2017
i'm not white enough for this
Rated 26 Dec 2016
Lays the period homages on a bit thick, to the point where a bit of modernity (such as a cellphone or soundboard) becomes in and of itself a punchline. A beautiful and heartbreaking romance, constructed of great actors, indulgent and familiar scenery, and the same three or four catchy melodies repeated over and over.
Rated 24 May 2017
Typical old fashioned boring musical. Overrated like "The Artist"
Rated 04 Jan 2017
This was beautiful. I might be the only one who liked the first half better than the second half where it starts to get more "emotional", but the first half is so fun and colourful that it elevates the rest of the film. It's not that the second half doesn't hit or anything, but I was having so much fun watching the first half.
Rated 09 Oct 2016
It's style over substance but bloody hell what style. In the hands of a lesser actress Mia would be an empty shell. It's hard to express just how much Chazelle gets away with by being delightful.
Rated 06 Apr 2018
I'm not a huge fan of musicals, or of Emma Stone, but I thought this movie was cute and had a real nice, and smooth, delivery. Like jazz.
Rated 01 Jan 2017
The dance scenes are underdeveloped (look to Hail, Cesar for a good one), the color scheme is arbitrary and the old Hollywood references serve no higher purpose, Which leads to a very 2016 moral system: Where old is always better. Make movies great again nostalgia BS. So Jazz finds itself in an disturbing mixture of mansplaning and whitewashing. Also, Chazelles ideas about success are childish and naive. Besides that, Gosling is charming and Stone surprisingly good in the serious moments,
Rated 16 Feb 2017
Gorgeous. /c Cineworld London - Wandsworth.
Rated 29 Jan 2017
Beautiful cinematography, well performed, enchanting songs, magic and yet very connected to reality. An emotional journey. Love it!
Rated 04 Feb 2017
Devastating. I mostly hate musicals, but this movie is a masterpiece. Easy and touching. It seems that most directors forgot how to entertain audience, preferring other (quite annoying) way to make a movie "artistic". The struggle of making a good movie with an easy story is a lesson everyone should remember. The bittersweet smile of Emma Stone at the end of the movie will tear you apart. Simply amazing.
Rated 05 Feb 2017
A lot of fun and a nice throwback to the musicals of yore. Gosling and Stone have wonderful chemistry (they should after this many films together), but sadly they aren't true triple threats.
Rated 10 Mar 2017
Stunning
Rated 11 Feb 2017
Damien Chazelle keeps on showing us what he is not about to do and then proceeds with doing something above and beyond in this beautifully cut renewal of the musical genre. We are told a story of passion and during the tale, the director's own obvious passion for jazz seeps through. Gosling may not be best singer around, but the colourful picture he paints with Emma is close to perfect.
Rated 14 Feb 2017
Sweet at times but awfully traditionalist and safe, often to the point of grotesqueness. There's nothing here that we haven't seen hundreds of times over really. Ryan Gosling looks lost most of the time and surely has no business being in a musical.
Rated 29 Jan 2017
"A real human being and a real hero(...)" ;) Lo lo love it.
Rated 22 Feb 2017
A beautiful love letter to Hollywood with two fantastic performances by Gosling and Stone.
Rated 05 Jan 2017
PodyumPark
Rated 16 Jan 2018
There MUST be happyend in this kind of movies!
Rated 12 Jan 2017
La La Land teases at greatness, but never truly fulfills its own potential. Nevertheless, it's a charming, inventive musical in a cinematic age lacking creativity and innovation. Having seen it all, it's no surprise that critics latched onto a film that challenges the status quo, even if it's slightly underwhelming. In the end, I appreciate Chazelle taking us on a journey into a story he wanted to share with the world and share his passions.
Rated 03 Jan 2017
Brilliantly written and directed by 31-year-old Damien Chazelle (the dude who did Whiplash), La La Land does nothing less than jolt the movie musical to life for the 21st century.
Rated 27 Dec 2016
Video Review: https://youtu.be/ShPTKcLrZGU
Rated 11 Dec 2016
A dazzling and magical tribute to Golden Age Hollywood, musicals and most of all; the dreamers. Chocked to the brim with majestic colours, superb choreography and lovable performances, Damien Chazelle's La La Land is a trip down nostalgic memory lane filled with love, passion, artistry and the pursuit of dreams at any cost. Though not quite as blindsiding as Whiplash, Chazelle is two for two with a wondrous ride that is bound to capture hearts in cinemas across the globe.
Rated 04 Jan 2017
A great deal of fun that hearkens back to the studio musicals of old without slavishly reproducing them, the film actually seeks to break new ground as it brings the spectacle of the musical in touch with real life--I get a definite Jacques Demy vibe here. Gosling and Stone both bring some laughs as the film takes us into the lives of dreamers who live not on sound stages but in the real world. And Chazelle leaves little clues about where the film's going--even in the very first scene.
Rated 14 Jan 2017
You pluck one thing out of this movie - the story, the singing, the direction - and it doesn't hold up to the critical standards that the film has earned. It's the earnest authenticity that's propelling this film into peoples' top ten lists of the year, into slews of awards, and into hearts of audience members like myself. The audacious joy is so infectious when approached with such goddamn respect and reverence for the medium, for the beauty of song and dance, and for the transcendence of love.
Rated 18 Jan 2017
As The Artist was to silent movies, so this is to Hollywood musicals. Yes, it might be a musical for people who don't like musicals but I don't like musicals so I liked it. The big set pieces that Hail, Caesar played for laughs are the very thing that would turn me off and, as such, the opening scene here set alarm bells ringing. Fortunately, it was unrepresentative of the film and the camera-work and performances lifted this up to the next level.
Rated 21 Jan 2017
Ryan Gosling delivers a GREAT performance; the laid-back parts sometimes look really acceptable, in other moments they look just stupid; the parts that should be "majestic", specially the singing and dancing scenes, are, not rarely, far from being "majestic"; very good performances by the actors; decent direction, with low points; there are some high moments in the screenplay; Chazelle obviously loves jazz; the growing of the relationship looks natural;
Rated 28 Jul 2020
Undeniably charming and I hate musicals. Not sure what the final message of the movie is, though.
Rated 22 Feb 2017
Ocak 2017, Buyulu Fener Kizilay
Rated 10 Mar 2017
I liked the dancing and jazz and Emma Stone's overly-expressive reactions to everything.
Rated 16 Jan 2017
Peakish musical, but songs -and lead thespians- could have been stronger, and you can't quite ignore the smell of moth balls.
Rated 27 Sep 2017
beautiful visuals and colors, although it's constant and you get desensitized after the first half hour. cheesy music ('city of stars' won an oscar? really?) and cheesy story. dragged a bit. emma stone was really good, ryan gosling not so much. I could see high school drama club girls being really into this. having them decide to hold hands during 'rebel without a cause's planetarium scene was an odd choice.
Rated 23 Dec 2016
You have to give a cynic in you a break here. For anyone who Don't like musicals nor jazz let me explain. To build a classical Hollywood musical in a style of the 70's stage ones is a real challenge. Viewer's eye is not used to the happy sing-alongs and rolls when there's dancing involved. This movie is authentic and build in a classic way & if you can appreciate "bye bye birdie" and "west side story" at all - give Chazelle a chance & try to understand it.
Rated 16 Jan 2017
Wonderful movie about people with dreams...but not being able to have a common dream. The first hour and the finale are perfect 10s but the part after the kiss wasn't as great (there were even less musical numbers during that part).
Rated 16 Jan 2017
Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed this. And had I seen it prior to it winning everything at the Golden Globes, my bar for it may not have been as high. But it didn't blow me away. Loved the throwback to old-school Hollywood and Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling have such easy chemistry it's just fun. The music is terrific and the transitions are handled beautifully. The story is structured nicely and has some great touches here and there.
Rated 14 Jan 2017
Oh wow, what an enjoyable movie it is. Go watch it.
Rated 06 Feb 2017
Extremely pretty movie, but sadly, I felt like it told a dumb story about dumb people. The plot felt like a poor man's Mr. Nobody, the musical part was mostly unnecessary and poorly used, and all the characters (not just the main two ones) are so awfully superficial that it was impossible for me to relate to them in any way. I would have rated this movie an average 5/10 if it wasn't for the insane amount of hype around it, so I'll have to rate it lower since I had high expectations going in.
Rated 17 Sep 2017
Chazelle's mind must have gone completely blank after Whiplash, to come up with this. It's a pile of stereotypes, and the screenplay is simply amateurish. The realization is over the top almost all of the time. I can understand however how this can be a commercial success: it has a candy look and cheap sentimentality. The real question here is was Whiplash so great just by accident? Sadly, I am starting to think that it was the case. P. S. Go rather watch "Guy and Madeline on a park bench".
Rated 05 May 2017
I want a Haneke remake for this flick.