Starship Troopers
Amazon VideoApple TVAMC Plus Apple TV Channel Google Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store
Starship-Troopers
Starship-Troopers

Starship Troopers

1997
Sci-fi, Action
From the bridge of the Fleet Battlestation Ticonderoga, with its sweeping galactic views, to the desolate terrain of planet Klendathu, teeming with shrieking, fire-spitting, brain-sucking special effects creatures, acclaimed director Paul Verhoven crafts a dazzling epic based on Robert A. Heinlein's classic sci-fi adventure. Courageous soldiers travel to the distant and desolate Klendathu system for the ultimate showdown between the species. (Sony)

Don't ask me why I love this movie, I just do. If the perfect score I've given it f**ks up all my TCIs, so be it. If on death row and given the chance to watch one last movie before being executed, yes, I would choose this over the Shawshank Redemption, 2001 A Space Odyssey, and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.
This is where it's at. Tits and blood and guns. Starship Troopers is unapologetically a big, dumb action flick. The story is straight 1950's B-horror, and the script and acting are terrible. But, there is TONS of boobs and gore and giant bugs that blow up real good. Oh, and a fat alien slug with a face like a vagina.
Starship Troopers is an open question: childish and violent, but swimming in subtext about appropriation of war, propaganda, The Other, and so forth. Why does it cast all white actors as Spanish characters from Buenos Aires? What does it say about engendering violence in our schools, or how the war splits the characters apart (for a common goal)? Verhoeven's brilliance is so in-your-face, it flies under the radar.
Do I dare devote another one of these little reviews to Denise Richards being so stupid hot. YEP. Verhoeven's output from the 80s to 2000 is untouchable , what a run.
Is this movie a straightforward celebration of militaristic fascism, or a sly satire of it? (No matter what Verhoeven says, there's enough evidence for both interpretations.) In any case, this is a solidly entertaining B-movie with enough over-the-top violence and nudity to make your inner teenage boy squeal with glee.

Last modified by:mjoc0723mjoc0723 on 06 Sep 2020