Carol
Carol-2015

Carol

2015
Romance, Drama
Set in 1950s New York, a department-store clerk who dreams of a better life falls for an older, married woman. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduNetflixMicrosoft Store

The two most boring people in the world fall in love, but encounter Trouble. Poor performance by Blanchett (a highly over-praised actress, in my view), but greater fault lies with the dreadful writing and insipid direction (despite self-consciously deploying some 30-year-old ideas about how to frame people as trapped, and so on). Almost every note rang false, both historically and psychologically. Further evidence that making a character "want to be a photographer" is always, always a bad sign.
I need to mull it over more, but this is likely Todd Haynes' opus, and that's saying something. It feels like Haynes has spent his entire career building to the subtle grace that fills every frame of Carol. Where Far From Heaven was a self-conscious homage to the Sirkian melodrama and all that that entails on a textual level, Carol simply is. It brings its era to life, rather than using it as a weapon. The difference is astounding.
Yr enjoyment of this film will depend on how you enjoy yr melodrama. If you like it thick and syrupy, then this may be the film for you! While that may sound like a criticism, I actually really enjoyed this film. Rooney Mara is a delight (while Blanchett may get the accolades, I think Mara deserves them more), and Kyle Chandler nails the ineffectual masculine presence. I wish the film ended slightly differently (like, perhaps five minutes sooner), but I am also a cold-hearted cynic.
95 on MetaCritic??? Chillax, please.
"Carol" is a love story. It's an okay love story, but it remains a goddamn love story. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that it portrays a lesbian relationship in the '50s leads to very little emotional tension: thanks to Haynes's artsy fartsy direction, this is extremely slow. It basically just alternates between realistically written and acted dialogues and god-awfully long, silent staring into space with melancholic music in the background. Get on with it.

Submitted bydrhdrh on 19 May 2015