The Artist
The-Artist

The Artist

2011
Romance, Comedy
Hollywood, 1927: As silent movie star George Valentin wonders if the arrival of talking pictures will cause him to fade into oblivion, he sparks with Peppy Miller, a young dancer set for a big break.
Amazon Prime VideoAmazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store

France gives Hollywood a loving handjob. Oscars all around.
An awesome and nostalgic tribute to silent cinema and visual storytelling, to another way of acting. Everybody is performing spectacularly well; the stylistics and the attention to small details, incomparable. It only occasionally flirts with being kitsch, always retaining its believability and charm. All is, in short, wonderful. Ingenious and heartfelt - this is the best romance and, indeed, silent movie to come out in quite some time.
I'm baffled. My PSI for this is 97. I am not one of those who relishes going against a universal consensus, but I simply must do for this soon-to-be Oscar winner. Yes, Dujardin is impressive and undeniably charming but the film itself left me cold and largely unmoved. I even found it quite tedious at times. It seemed to have just glossed over the generalities of the silent film era without really having anything particularly important or interesting to say.
Easily one of the best of 2011. A silent film with the exception of one line of dialogue and a dream sequence, it's a homage to a different era of performance art. As such, it's a tour de force. Jean Dujardin is piercing, balancing the intense physical expressions of early cinema with the quiet and smoldering emotional restraint that is a trademark today. With great characters (Uggie the dog!), luminous music and a heartfelt love story, the refined charm of the film can not be stressed enough.
Artificial confection mimicking the style of silent movies of the 20s; its qualified charm is based on a certain postmodern playfulness and allusions that should please the connoiseurs. The more critical will find that, compared to the silent movies it copies, it's rather a mediocre fluff, and a soulless, gimmicky one at that.

Submitted bynrm02NRM02 on 15 May 2011