The Mummy
The-Mummy-2017

The Mummy

2017
Sci-fi, Fantasy
Though safely entombed in a crypt deep beneath the unforgiving desert, an ancient princess, whose destiny was unjustly taken from her, is awakened in our current day bringing with her malevolence grown over millennia, and terrors that defy human comprehension. (imdb)
Franchise: The Mummy

I'm thinking positive! So rather than talk about how the director is responsible for the Transformers movies, I'll mention that he helped create Fringe! I'm going to note the excellent sequence when Tom Cruise is thrown from a rolling truck and not dare mention the I Am Legend grade CGI creature attack that causes it. I'll make a gay toast to the Universal Monsters I loved getting some new attention instead of drowning my sorrows in scotch over the thoughts of how ruined the universe already is.
An easy watch, but almost depressingly bland. Cruise plays a non-character, the use of Jake Johnson is annoying as hell, and Crowe is excruciatingly awful in a double role that he is set to reprise in upcoming Dark Universe films. So while Javier Bardem as Frankenstein's monster in a Bill Condon version of 'Bride of Frankenstein' does sound terrific, I wish they'd just make stand-alone films instead of emulating Marvel. Now, go revisit the Brendan Fraser version with Arnold Vosloo. It's great!
The Cummy. The lady mummy becomes a mummy because she makes some pact with an evil god to gain powers to kill a ... baby. Bitch just plug its nose for thirty seconds or make it sleep on its stomach. God.
Originally, "Dracula Untold" was supposed to kick off the Dark Universe and bring the Universal monster flicks to the new millennium and boy did that suck. So just a couple years later, they re-re-boot it with this one, and having seen reviews first, I was pretty confident that the franchise was run by an orangutan in a business suit. Having decided to see it, against my better judgement, I can say, it's moderately entertaining, and extremely contrived, with Crowe belonging nowhere in the movie.
While not irredeemably bad, it's still pretty fucking bad, and thoroughly confused about what it wants to be and why. Here's a free tip to the Universal Studio heads who tried to pull a Marvel on their old properties: next time - rather than spending all your money on A-list actors, try spending it on talented directors and writers who appreciate and understand these monsters -heck- just a director who understands the craft would be a big improvement.

Submitted byecrE.C.R. on 06 May 2017