1976
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
Reporters Woodward and Bernstein uncover the details of the Watergate scandal that leads to President Nixon's resignation.
Directed by:
Written by:
Starring:
Country:
Languages:

1976
Drama, Suspense/Thriller

Rated 10 Mar 2008
Only Hollywood could come up with a story so unbelievable.
Rated 20 Mar 2011
For a movie that is almost 1/2 spent watching people talk on the phone it sure managed to keep me interested the entire time. Dustin Hoffman's hair in this movie should've won an Oscar.
Rated 27 Oct 2011
"I have a wife and a family and a dog and a cat." :p
Rated 10 Mar 2007
I've never been very political-minded, so I didn't know a whole lot about Watergate. This movie helps fill in the details, and also sheds some light on the journalistic process that Woodward & Bernstein went through. I felt the film was a little flat, perhaps too much "just-the-facts", although there were some moments of humor (especially involving the Post senior staff) and intrigue.
Rated 15 Jul 2009
Terrific and highly recommendable true story of the Watergate break in, coverup and investigation that brought down Richard Nixon.
Rated 14 Dec 2020
Of Pakula's three 1970's paranoia thrillers, this one is the most technically well made--although it doesn't have the genre thrills of Klute or Parallax View. But he does nail the cynicism that comes with witnessing structures fail. My big complaint is the repetitive minimalism of the structure--they find a clue, research it, write about it, and then face rejection for covering it. Still, it is a good time capsule, and gets points for being an influence on David Fincher's Zodiac.
Rated 26 Jul 2010
A very smart, well acted, fantasticly directed and powerfully written political drama
Rated 09 Mar 2010
A fantastic movie. The Hoff gives a great performance, but the real kicker is redford is simply unbeatable. I was definitely satisfied with all of the acting, but what makes this a good movie is the in depth study of real events that people really don't know enough about these days. It was directed well, but what makes it soooo good is that woodward and bernstein had a hand in the writing.
Rated 09 Dec 2009
One of the triumphs of this spellbinding political thriller is that the audience is fascinated and involved, despite the fact that we already know who the villain is, and that he will be captured by the posse but never brought fully to justice. The astonishingly high level of the ensemble acting is extraordinary.
Rated 07 Jan 2012
As far as dramatizations go, it doesn't get much better than this. There is a great sense of tension and urgency that makes it hard to look away, even though you know what is going to happen.
Rated 06 Jun 2011
One of the best journalism films ever, if not THE best, but it's not just the story that pulls you in - it's the acting, dialogue and writing that also deliver. But make no mistake, the impact these two men had on investigative reporting is unmatched.
Rated 19 Aug 2009
They just don't make 'em like this one anymore. Places where the lighting is near zero, characters talking over each other (gee, like real conversation), and the main characters being allowed to be less than superhuman--art depicting life, how about that?
Rated 13 Jun 2012
Hoffman and Redford have amazing chemistry but the film was off putting as it assumes the audience already knows the main and peripheral players in the Watergate Scandal. I felt lost at times as names were rattled off that meant nothing to me. Still a great film, just stuck in it's time.
Rated 26 Aug 2010
Wow that is VERY boring for every person who is not an American - and the usual blah blah: good performances, directing etc.
Rated 04 Sep 2009
Intriguing, terse thriller is a nail-biter even though the ending is no secret. Expertly paced by Pakula with standout performances by Hoffman and Redford as the reporters who slowly uncover and connect the seemingly isolated facts that ultimately lead to criminal indictments of the Nixon Administration. Deep Throat Holbrook and Robards as executive editor Ben Bradlee lend authenticity to the endeavor, a realistic portrayal of the stop and go of journalistic investigations.
Rated 19 Apr 2019
I want a film that's just 2 hours of people picking up phones. Yes, yes, that'll win me all those Oscars.
Rated 18 Nov 2012
An exciting and perfectly told story. Simply one of the finest procedural thrillers we're likely to ever see.
Rated 01 May 2012
It was gripping and amazing! Then the ending happened.
Rated 27 Mar 2010
An absorbing drama from the headlines which despite its many excellences would have been better with a more audible dialogue track, less murky photography and a clearer introduction of the characters concerned. The acting however is a treat.
Rated 25 Jul 2014
A complicated and hard-to-follow clusterfuck of names and paper trails, but even if the specifics of the plot left me hazy, this film successfully captures the exhaustive hustle and bustle of newsroom investigation and the paranoia of political conspiracy. The cast is stellar. Gordon Willis complements the super-talkative script with evocative imagery (the parking garage, the cityscapes, the meticulous use of zoom shots).
Rated 13 Dec 2018
the way this trusts audiences to respond to the ostensibly dull minutiae of investigative reporting in this historically important context seems almost a miracle today (just look at how SPOTLIGHT, a lesser spawn of this film praised by critics for its understatement and realism, spoonfeeds and manipulates the viewer in comparison). shame it just ends halfway through as if they ran out of budget although, again, i prefer that to the spielbergian crowdpleasing it'd probably conclude with today.
Rated 08 Mar 2012
I really love the chemistry between Hoffman and Redford. The fact that the story is both compelling and true just makes this all the better. Must see for any political junkie.
Rated 11 Oct 2008
Really gripping movie.
Rated 22 Sep 2010
Solid film, leaves you wanting to know more. Manages to dramatize investigative journalism probably as well as you possibly can. Great unscripted feel in many scenes.
Rated 16 Dec 2014
Couldn't help but feel as if the final moments are rushed, though somewhat appropriately. It sort of sidesteps any catharsis the audience deserves after keeping up with the frantic inquisitiveness of the first two plus hours. Superb acting and relentlessly journalistic narrative. I love how it's just about two dudes doing their jobs. The characterization that blossoms along the way is a tangential treat.
Rated 16 Jul 2013
It’s been several years since I’ve watched it, but I remember loving the acting, screenplay, and directing. Due for a rewatch but I’m willing to bet I still love it.
Rated 15 Apr 2010
Yeah, pretty fascinating film for the most part, greatly elevated by Hoffman, Redford and Robards. But the whole film builds and builds and builds with absolutely no payoff.
Rated 13 Feb 2016
A very well-done political journalism movie, which clearly started many of the trends that we see in today's movies (Zodiac, Spotlight). Redford and Hoffman are fantastic, as well as the direction and the writing, there is just something I can't place my finger on that doesn't land with me here. Maybe it's the dialogue but I can't be sure. Either way, this is a great film.
Rated 26 Nov 2010
What I love about "All the President's Men" is that it is a film about investigative journalism that actually shows journalist doing journalist type things! There are very few gimmicks here, certainly no action gimmicks anyway. There are people on phones, have probing conversations, writing notes, & holding clandestine meetings... actually doing investigating! It works, very well. The two leads are great, the script strong and the direction either well paced or slow depending on your patience.
Everything a thriller should be and to top it off it's based on real events. This movie is awesome.
Engrossing. Exciting. Smart as hell. Brilliantly acted. Watch it!!!
With all the negative connotations associated with journalists, this movie brings them back into some sort of respectability. I would base this movie as one of the main reasons I became a journalist. Well played all round.
Rated 16 Apr 2009
Lots of "fucks" for a PG movie.
Rated 19 Aug 2009
The story of Watergate. Awesome, a great companion to Frost/Nixon.
Rated 14 Dec 2011
This movie is a very good look on how something like a break in can snowball and eventually lead to the downfall of the president of the United States. Both Hoffman & Redford are good in the lead roles. The way the story unravels keeps the viewer interested throughout the film.
Rated 12 Sep 2007
A little technologically dated now, but this was hot stuff back then. But...who KNEW that we would EVER actually get to learn the identity of "Deep Throat." Finding out who it really was, years later, was very interesting and adds a little to watching the movie now. I've watched this many times. But it is such a treat to watch on a very large high-def TV. You can actually read the story when you see a newspaper on-screen. They're just a blur in traditional TV.
Rated 04 Jun 2018
Funny how these true stories don't have endings. I mean, for obvious reasons, but still. Would love to see a David Simon-produced TV show about this, which would expand to include all the people in the investigation, not just the self-glorifying journalists. Pretty good movie though!
Rated 26 Jul 2009
The best political thriller ever made. Alan J. Pakula is spot on with the suspense in every single scene.
Rated 02 Jan 2008
A white knuckle fast paced thriller based on the real breaking of the Watergate scandle. Brilliantly compelling performances from Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford bring the film to life. Once this gets hold of you, you wont want to miss a second.
Rated 02 Jun 2013
The best part of this movie is the realism. Everyone felt so natural in it, not 100% perfect each scene. Gave it authenticity. I didn't like the ending as much.
Rated 06 Mar 2018
Made me want to watch 'The classé American'
Rated 29 Apr 2008
Investigative journalism has been bastardized since, but this movie still stands out.
Rated 27 Mar 2007
When you know that W. Mark Felt was Deep Throat, it adds an angle to this film the filmmakers probably didn't expect. In any case, it's a brilliant film and makes Washington, DC political journalism look more exciting and dangerous than it probably is.
Rated 23 Jan 2017
...and then Nixon was like: "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!" A Few President's Men
Rated 14 Nov 2013
I will admit to having a bit of a journalism fetich (it's mostly the notebooks, notebooks are cool), an itch which this movie scratches to near-perfection.
Rated 23 Apr 2016
An engaging work of detective fiction with a few great performances (particularly Robards as Ben Bradlee), a piece of candy for political junkies like me.
Rated 05 Apr 2008
still timely; still frightening; well-produced, acted, and directed
Rated 19 Jan 2012
Great story, decent directing and superb performances by Hoffman and Redford, who also have great on-screen chemistry.
Rated 15 Feb 2007
Great film.
Rated 31 Jul 2009
Keeps you watching, even though you already know the ending.
Rated 22 Jan 2008
You probably have to have an appreciation for and knowledge of the underlying events. If you do, it's terrific drama.
Rated 05 Sep 2010
Excellent movie. I love all the little parts with them just talking.
Rated 27 Dec 2009
Gripping suspense film, and one of the best movies ever made about the process of journalism.
Rated 27 Nov 2010
This film is mesmerizing, the two lead performances are great (Plus all the little ones too) and on top of all that, I really want to be a journalist now. Thanks, All The President's Men. (two times)
Whoo! Journalism!
Rated 11 Aug 2014
All the President's Men is an action film. But it's comprised not of speeding cars, bombs, fists, gadgets, guns, but of names, dates, phones, happenstance, false leads, relentless footwork, denials, and, like a would-be usual villainous mastermind whose henchmen doggedly protect him, the truth.
Rated 23 Feb 2007
There really was a massive presidential scandal involving a confidential source named Deep Throat.
Rated 15 Feb 2015
Not a re-enactment and not entirely fiction either, but stuck awkwardly in the middle. For over two hours nothing seems to be happening and the movie doesn't really progress, and then you get a lonely typewriter telling you that Nixon has resigned, The End.
Rated 02 Jan 2014
One of my favorites
Rated 29 Jun 2009
Struck me as very dry, but extremely compelling nonetheless. Despite half-knowing the outcome, I was really rooting for Woodward and Bernstein.
Rated 11 Sep 2018
As I found with "Spotlight", watching journalists get their story...isn't sexy or exciting or interesting. But this story in particular is so important and, unfortunately, still timely, that I enjoyed it. I really should read the book too.
Rated 16 Dec 2018
Pretty intense at times, driven by the two good protagonists.
Rated 16 Apr 2019
A compelling dramatization of the meticulous research and journalism that led to the uncovering of the Watergate affair. The movie is very focused on the procedures, but never becomes boring. I wish we had gotten a little more insight into the characters of Woodward and Bernstein, as well as some of the events which are only briefly mentioned in the abrupt epilogue.
Rated 12 Apr 2019
Ben Bradlee: "You know the results of the latest Gallup Poll? Half the country never even heard of the word Watergate. Nobody gives a shit. You guys are probably pretty tired, right? Well, you should be. Go on home, get a nice hot bath. Rest up... 15 minutes. Then get your asses back in gear. We're under a lot of pressure, you know, and you put us there. Nothing's riding on this except the, uh, first amendment to the Constitution, freedom of the press, and maybe the future of the country."
Rated 10 Jun 2019
Hell of a film. Covering the Watergate scandal, which does indeed have a lot of parallels with current events, it has a pretty interesting look into the work of a couple of journalists working a particularly difficult story. Jason Robards as Bradlee was my favorite part of the film though, not surprised at all that he won an Oscar for the role.
Rated 31 Aug 2019
Reporting is boring -- ask people questions, go through hundreds of library slips. The trick is to have Pakula shoot it so it appears interesting. In case you were wondering, a key clue to the likely identity of Deep Throat was revealed in this film. (An FBI man.)
Rated 20 Oct 2020
Despite it's average runtime, it still drags. Still decent though.
Rated 24 Nov 2020
Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman are the stars of this biopic but the script and the cinematography are also at the forefront of this movie. Redford plays the up-and-comer Bob Woodward who doesn't have the experience yet but has the talent. Hoffman plays Carl Bernstein plays the veteran news reporter who has been languishing in mediocrity, waiting for his chance to investigate something spectacular. Even though we all know the plot, this film keeps the audience pinned to the screen.
Rated 17 Dec 2021
As a point of news paper juornalism much clever and much better than today's mindset.
Rated 21 Aug 2012
Solid film, all around.
Rated 01 Mar 2008
# 486
Rated 05 Sep 2007
A mundane & simplistic rendition of the famous book. The book was itself a less that complete rendition of that complex set of events; the movie dumbs it down to about 8th grade level. there are several books and a couple of documentaries that treat this subject much better.
Rated 01 Feb 2010
Pretty good political thriller largely in thanks to the two great leads.
Rated 20 Sep 2010
I really enjoyed this film. Most historical dramas tend to be a little on the slow side, which I will admit happens in this film once or twice but not for long and it's more than made up for with the chemistry of the leads.
Rated 25 Sep 2007
Pretty good, considering it's basically just two hours of phone conversations.
Rated 31 Jan 2018
review pending
Rated 18 Nov 2012
Important, but too aware of its importance, leading to a film that's incredibly stiff. The story itself is one of the that is worth telling, but the film is so paranoid about leaving something out or getting a detail wrong that it frequently doesn't work as a film, frequently becoming inert.
Rated 18 Mar 2007
This is a great movie that intensely follows two journalists as they try to uncover the greatest political mystery at the time. Superbly acted and written, Hoffman and Redford do a remarkable job.
Whoever cast Robert Redford as Bob Woodward deserves a gold star. This is a solid movie, and fairly accurate, but Goldman skips over details which make the truth still more interesting. For a better 70s vintage Redford, check out "The Candidate".
Rated 22 Sep 2012
I liked that it wasn't as focused on the paranoia as many other political, american movies of the 70's. Rather than that, it dwells at the editorial stuff, exagerated of course, but the editing, the work process. Hoffman and Redford delivers as they know how to.
Rated 09 Nov 2012
Rated 16 Nov 2007
solid film all around, just not a favorite.
Rated 18 Jun 2009
Slow moving but engrossing. Kinda like having a pet turtle.
Rated 14 Jan 2010
It's a good film of course, but the heroism it imbued Woodward & Bernstein with in popular culture slightly sours me on it, given that they both (Woodward especially) subsequently became Beltway hagiographers/gossip columnists depending on the president.
Rated 02 Sep 2012
Even Ronald Reagan opined that the movie of All the President's Men lost Gerald Ford the 1976 election. William Goldman delivered one of the most clarifying screenplays in Hollywood history, and Alan Pakula directed it with a paranoid subtext that whispered, Look, just because righteousness and reporting won the day, don't relax or begin to feel comfortable. In other words, the undergrowth of a city and a system had been indicated, and that left no room for comfort.
Rated 10 Mar 2012
Nothing that really amazed me. The story is interesting, but nothing I hadn't really known about before. I guess for as few main characters as this film had, Hoffman and Redford did good jobs, but I didn't find their performances to be that great. Robards was good in support, but I don't know about Academy Award good.
Rated 26 Aug 2013
an interesting study of two journalists' obsessions with the watergate scandal that is also very, very dry. the benefit is that there's little overstated importance (with the exception of some brief rattle on free speech near the end), but it loses a lot of cinematic potential with that decision.
Exceptional.
Rated 22 May 2008
The acting here is all excellent, except for maybe Hoffman who seems to be doing his same old thing. Jason Robards is fantastic as Post editor Bill Bradlee -- his ass rides on the story's truth, and his dead-pan intimidation seems both effortlessly forceful and funny. The ending is quick, and there are so many characters that it can become tough to keep track of who's who, but the story is a good one. The expansive cinematography gives us a good idea of the danger these men faced. A strong film.
Rated 14 Dec 2014
This film has aged well, it was better now than when I watched it the first time.
Rated 27 Sep 2010
A good movie with two fine performances from Hoffman and Redford. However, I didn't find it as engaging as I thought it would be. It's just a very good, if unspectacular film.
Rated 30 Nov 2011
#529
Rated 30 Jan 2013
Gazetecilik, Watergate, Arastirma, sorusturma, secim, skandal, gizli dinleme, Nixon, baski (gazetecilik hakkinda muhtesem bir film. Washington Post'ta calisan iki genc gazetecinin watergate skandalini ortaya cikarmak icin gösterdigi çabayi anlayiyor. Sürükleyici ve iyi bir film)
Rated 19 Dec 2008
Rated 23 Sep 2007
My chief issue for the film is that the suspense is sent to insane heights, but as soon as Woodward and Bernstein figure out what their evidence means, the film ends. We see absolutely no fallout. It's simply all about the build-up, making the ending a bit of a let down.
Rated 23 Oct 2014
Intelligent procedural with understated, paranoia-inducing direction, good turns from RR and DH too. If it hadn't fizzled out in the final 15 this would be t10, not a fan of teletype montages either.
Rated 09 Apr 2010
classic and well acted but not my cup of tea....
Rated 24 Oct 2015
A solid film
Rated 13 Sep 2016
A well-made procedural, but there are only a few touches that just barely divert it from the most straightforward possible path. The touches of paranoia provide the most interest.
Rated 12 Feb 2010
True story of Washington Post reporters Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein who practically brought down the administration of tricky dick Nixon by uncovering the infamous 'Watergate Scandal'.Big part of their success was due to the mysterious 'deep throat' who set aside fellatio activities for the time to provide them with valuable inside knowledge in solving the puzzle that surrounded their investigations.

Directed by: