Dunkirk
Dunkirk-2017

Dunkirk

2017
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
Allied soldiers from Belgium, the British Empire, Canada, and France are surrounded by the German army and evacuated during a fierce battle in World War II. (imdb)
Peacock Premium

Impersonal. It's by design, but it's a mistake. For 'Dunkirk' plays more like a disaster movie than a war movie, and I needed a character to latch on to. Between Nolan's admittedly effective visual bombardments of my senses, and whenever Zimmer's woefully distracting and catastrophically overused score pulled me out of the experience, I found myself getting frustrated that I was unable to connect with it. Skillful though the editing may be, it fails to disguise the fact that the story is so-so.
I watched hundreds of nameless faces drown on a giant screen with Hans Zimmer's sledgehammer soundtrack reverberating the walls and I felt absolutely nothing because Christopher Nolan is an unfeeling worm of a man that probably has freezing cold hands and an icebox for a heart. The non-linear triptych "story" had one of the most frustrating and tedious plotting structures of any movie I've seen since Memento. Anytime a scene might build towards something, Nolan deflates it with a quick edit.
Ever since TDKR, Nolan's films have left me with this strange, underwhelming feeling, as though his obsession with technicalities and making his complicated productions feel as grounded as possible is starting to seriously impact the thematic and emotional resonance that made his films great in the first place. As much as I wanted to like Dunkirk, the jumbled, mostly hollow narrative and slight character development prevent the film from going down as a truly memorable experience.
Christopher Nolan jerks off to clocks.
The more I heard people talk about what the experience was like, I changed my expectations and went into the movie with a different idea of what it's like and I ended up loving it. No, it isn't like the other war films I've seen before, but it's suppose to be different. It's from a different point of view that I thoroughly enjoyed. It also has great acting, directing, music, and (loud) editing. I wish I could have seen it on the big screen. Very good if you go in with the right mindset.

Submitted bydjrossdjross on 17 Mar 2017