J. Edgar
J-Edgar

J. Edgar

2011
Drama, Crime
As the face of law enforcement in America for almost 50 years, J. Edgar Hoover was feared and admired, reviled and revered. But behind closed doors, he held secrets that would have destroyed his image, his career and his life. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduYouTubeDIRECTV

Trying to build any kind of sympathy for J. Edgar Hoover is a completely misplaced endeavor as the man was a powerhungry weasel who is rightfully pilloried. It doesn't help that Eastwood's recent trend of sucking at directing ensures a dismal product, with no emotional engagement and a shallow historical basis.
Given the horrible streak Eastwood has currently set up for himself, I can't say I'm the least bit surprised this sucked so much. The unfashionable, tedious fashion in which it's told makes Hoover too remote a figure to give a rat's ass about and provides little weight to his personal life, political journey and otherwise notorious nature. Warner Bros. needs to get its head out of its ass and realize Eastwood's better off in a retirement home than behind the camera.
Stale.
Someone gave Clint Eastwood millions of dollars to make a History Channel reenactment. This film is downright pointless. As a biopic, it fails to provide anything beyond shallow insight on Hoover. As a drama, the story progresses along an emotional flat line. It's the one of the most awkward implementations of non-linear narrative I've seen. To top it all off, the romance is a complete dud rife with cliches. Oh, and the old people makeup sucks.
A dry, academic document, only livened up by occasional moments of campy overacting from the usually reliable DiCaprio. I've seen messier, less professional productions this year, but I haven't seen many that provoked less of an emotional response from me at any point during their runtimes.

Submitted bytoro913toro913 on 31 Oct 2011