The Fabelmans
Amazon VideoApple TVfuboTVParamount+ Amazon ChannelShowtime Apple TV ChannelParamount Plus Apple TV Channel
Google Play Movies
The-Fabelmans
The-Fabelmans

The Fabelmans

2022
Growing up in post-World War II era Arizona, a young man named Sammy Fabelman discovers a shattering family secret and explores how the power of films can help him see the truth (imdb.com).
Google Play Movies
Vudu
Showtime
Microsoft Store
Showtime Roku Premium Channel
Paramount+ with Showtime

I'll spoiler the ending: John Ford ends up giving Sammy (young Spielberg) a lesson about where to place the horizon to make it interesting; it's too bad there wasn't anyone in Hollywood to teach him how to make a character interesting. As a semi-autobiography, The Fablemans is a feel-good coming-of-age cliché, occasionally amusing but thoroughly manufactured and utterly dishonest. With Sammy coursing through his youth easing past fake adversities, it hasn't a glimmer of introspection.
It does feel melodramatic in some places, but DAMN was it amazing. All of the first act had me fighting back tears. No movie has ever captured how I view and feel about cinema like this one has. I was feeling nostalgic for much of its runtime. The ”movie” stuff is really well made, but it’s all mended perfectly with compelling family drama and messages about loss, guilt and forgiveness. The family stuff was very moving. This was superbly acted and made. Spielberg just gets it. Phenomenal movie.
I use 2x playback speed option for Spielberg's movies, it makes them better.
This film got a giant "Meh" from me. I mean, It's fine, possibly even good. All-in-all it's a decent bildungsroman, but at the end of the day it's formulaic and predictable and has little to say about anything except corny speeches about the POWER OF CINEMA.
Rock me, rock me, rock me sexy Jesus He died for our sins, you gotta believe us Rock me, rock me, rock me sexy Jesus All night long Pleasant movie, the best moments are obviously about making movies. I'm not surprised Spielberg spent the entire time filming this crying. Everytime I see Judd Hirsch in a new movie I gasp that he's still alive. Greedily soaking in all this Spielberg schmaltz, ladle me a second serving.

Submitted byjarobmuljarobmul on 11 Sep 2022