Mandy
Amazon VideoApple TVAMC+ Amazon ChannelHuluAMC Plus Apple TV Channel Google Play Movies
Vudu
Mandy-2018

Mandy

2018
Suspense/Thriller, Action
Mandy is set in the primal wilderness of 1983 where Red Miller, a broken and haunted man hunts an unhinged religious sect who slaughtered the love of his life. (imdb)
Vudu
AMC+
Plex
Plex Player
Shudder Apple TV Channel

I love how most things in this movie can be explained by people either having supernatural abilities or just being really, really high. A simple pulpy story that's elevated to My Kinda Shit heights by intense colours and soundscapes, delicious weirdness and just going balls to the goddamn wall when it needs to. I loved the slow-ass buildup.
Weird slow burns are always the best burns. Script probably just read “Nicolas Cage reacts”.
I can't be angry at Cosmatos for fooling me twice, he seems to be trying his best, in his own horrible, niche way. The truth is that "Mandy" is everything a sophomore effort should be for a horror director, bigger budget, bigger names, and bigger and better gore. But the problem is that Cosmatos apparently has no ability to pen a cohesive story with even a grain of cogency. But he gets the aesthetics done so perfectly that by round three he'll probably trick me again.
I can't even... okay, look. It's like this: If you eat the most goddamn delicious cheeseburger you've ever had in your life, what do you care that they replaced the cheese with LSD?
I am a frog put in a pot of lukewarm water, and Mandy is the film that turns the heat on high and soft boils my mind.

Submitted byecrE.C.R. on 22 Jan 2018