Silver Linings Playbook
Silver-Linings-Playbook

Silver Linings Playbook

2012
Romance, Comedy
Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro, Julia Stiles and Jennifer Lawrence star in this acerbic comedy-drama from David O. Russell (Three Kings, The Fighter), about a former high-school teacher who returns to his family home after four years in a mental institution and begins to slowly rebuild his life. (tiff.net)
Amazon VideoApple TVStarz Apple TV ChannelGoogle Play MoviesVuduNetflix
Microsoft Store
Netflix basic with Ads

Unlike everyone else on the planet I disliked this movie. I thought the writing was pretty lazy, featuring numerous moments of ridiculous dialogue ("Hey [guy I just met] I heard you just got out of the looney bin!"), some absurd character motivations, and an ending that is wrapped up in an eyerollingly perfect way. I actually thought the actors did well with what they were given, but the script took what could have been an interesting movie and made it as safe and by the numbers as possible.
Holy tonal inconsistency Batman! Reminded me of A Beautiful Mind in what little insight it offers into the psychological condition when living with a serious disease, as Russell's shallow script subjects his characters' distress to banal examination. A bit of a shame because the cast shares some fantastic chemistry together. Overrated as fuck, redeemed by some solid acting.
A cynical piece of work. "Mental illnesses" are used as a wacky backdrop for the most cliched and calculated movie of the year. Everything is agonazingly predictable, except for the nauseating, out-of-place camerawork. Who'd have thought that all women are sluts in a movie by a director who calls his actresses "fucking cunts"?
Samuel L. Jackson made a comment in an interview once that some movies are acting exercises with ensemble casts showing off their acting chops without any sort of real substance in terms of plot or writing. It's like a rap battle where one MC spouts some witty cypher and the other responds with a comeback. Lawrence and Cooper are the two MCs battling to out act each other and the DJ spinning is David O. Russell. Every scene feels artificial and empty in the end.
Obnoxious, one-dimensional characters. Predictable, boring plot. iPods.

Submitted bytoro913toro913 on 01 Aug 2012