Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi
Star-Wars-Episode-VIII

Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

2017
Sci-fi, Fantasy
Rey develops her newly discovered abilities with the guidance of Luke Skywalker, who is unsettled by the strength of her powers. Meanwhile, the Resistance prepares for battle with the First Order.
Amazon VideoApple TVDisney PlusGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store
TNT
TBS
tru TV

It was about 20 min. into this Disney-licensed toy ad, that I came to the sad realization that Star Wars is no longer a series made for me. In some sterile board room in SoCal, it was decided by a murder of pressed Armanis that Star Wars should no longer be something that *some people loved*, but something that *everyone liked*, and in doing so, they sucked all the magic out of it, choosing to embrace demographic metadata in a corporate cash-grab rather than the hearts of those who remember '77.
Last Jedi manages to intercut a dozen characters of consequence between and through scenes, across the universe and within internal states, and somehow keep its core logic unscathed. And that logic is founded on a sly disregard for fan service. You want proclamations of heredity and lore? Go watch the Prequels. When Luke tosses his lightsaber, he dismisses an entire cottage industry built on safety and expectation. It's a blockbuster looking forward and not back. The sacred texts are burning.
I haven't seen a chase sequence take that long since the cops were tailing O.J. down the 405. The Resistance is the creative state of the franchise - running out of fuel, crawling forward when it should be blasting off, commandeered by people with different agendas who aren't in on each others plans, assailed by angsty man-children with gripes about the past.
Star Wars films should be exciting and leave you with a smile on your face, This was exciting and left me with a smile on my face.
Another movie with some glaring silence that was extremely effective, maybe my favorite moment in the whole series. Most of the fighting was impressive in an inconsequential Sucker Punch sort of way. Thusly I feel that the original trilogy STILL contains the best fight scenes. Someday somebody will pull a The Matrix worthy fight that is as relevant to the plot as the fight scenes in The Matrix. Group discussion: Should the Wachowski's direct a Star Wars sequel? No and no. Discussion over.

Submitted bydjrossdjross on 23 Sep 2017