Mortal Kombat
Mortal-Kombat-2021

Mortal Kombat

2021
Sci-fi, Fantasy
MMA fighter Cole Young seeks out Earth's greatest champions in order to stand against the enemies of Outworld in a high stakes battle for the universe.
Franchise: Mortal Kombat
Max Amazon Channel
Max

You know you're in trouble when Kano is the most interesting character. It actually has fight choreography and arguably ok CGI but it lacks a true plot (the whole ordeal is clearly a first act for a larger franchise) and the kills are nothing. The Fatalities in an MK film should be enough to make von Trier blush but there's only one that even tries to get close and it comes far too late into the film to wake you up from the boredom that is Kano being the best character.
Test your might over not fast forwarding this boring sequel baiting slog. Give anyone a Mortal Kombat project and they will go absolutely insane trying to come up with why we should care about people with magic powers hitting each other really hard while some guy sucks souls - you dont need one for this, trust me.
"We need a relatable everyman character!" says a movie exec who is so high on porcupine tranquilizers that they forget who the target audience for this is. Just give us 90 minutes of bloody and colourful nonsense without overexplaining or grounding it, ya bums! Ya cowards! (OK, ok, this wasn't all bad, but just too concerned with its bland story and franchise building)
Why not? I enjoyed it immediately and my basement level expectations were surpassed almost all the way to the first floor. The fight scenes occur with all the pomp and circumstance of sex scenes in Andy Sidaris movies, ooh, here's another one.
This is the first movie I've seen where I hated and loved every moment at the same time.

Submitted byedkrakedkrak on 15 Apr 2021