Take Shelter
Take-Shelter

Take Shelter

2011
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
Plagued by a series of apocalyptic visions, a young husband and father questions whether to shelter his family from a coming storm, or from himself. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft StoreTubi TV

It's not about the storm. This is one of the most touching films about family, trust and understanding that I have ever had the pleasure of viewing. The relationship between Curtis and Sam takes us through the emotional wringer, powered by impeccable performances from Shannon and Chastain. Curtis's unraveling and obsession with the shelter is riveting, to be sure, but more poignant is the honesty and commitment of this 21st century American family in the face of medical and economic hardships.
Well-done, interesting film, that both creates great tension and handles its themes with subtlety and nuance. It is more than either a psychological and sociological account of mental illness, or a generic apocalyptic tale. Rather, it is an investigation of contemporary collective feelings of anxiety and foreboding, and it takes these feelings as genuine questions, rather than as either evidence of insanity or signs of prophetic truth. (Feeling of tension had abated somewhat on 2021 re-watch.)
Entranced me. Part of its ability to mesmerize comes from the amazing Shannon and Chastain but everything about the film is superb, really. The nightmare sequences are haunting. One can believe that they take such a strong hold on Curtis, and his (possible) descent into madness is adeptly depicted. 'Take Shelter' joins the ranks of two other transcendental domestic dramas, 'A Separation' and 'The Tree of Life', completing a trifecta of 2011-masterpieces.
The film is often overpowering in its emotional impact, thanks in large part to Shannon's role as a truly tormented, heartwrenchingly fragile family man (and his wife, tormented by association, but sympathetic all the same, played wonderfully by Chastain), and to Nichols's pace which begins as a slow-burn, and continues to a finale which is nearly suffocating in its anxiety and subsequent catharsis. Phenomenal stuff.
(2nd viewing) Shannon plays his heart out as Curtis; I was shaken by my willingness to identify with his paranoia and growing torment which speaks volumes about both his performance and the film's veracity. Just a knockout of a film that had me glued to my seat, a film that unfolds like a waking nightmare while subtly yet brilliantly building up to one of the most intense climaxes of recent years. A great film from an exciting filmmaker, despite the climax not holding up well after a rewatch.

Submitted bynrm02NRM02 on 15 May 2011