The Menu
The-Menu-2022

The Menu

2022
Comedy, Suspense/Thriller
A young couple travel to a remote island to eat at an exclusive restaurant where the chef has prepared a lavish menu, with some shocking surprises. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVHuluGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store
Max Amazon Channel
Max

He knew they were all going to die and still taking pictures of the fucking food! Fucking peasant!
What delightful surprise! Satire cinema seems to be one of those things just works for you or just doesn’t. This worked like a charm for me. I was throughly entertained. I laughed out loud often, felt a bit unnerved at times, and was just very satisfied with The Menu’s dark sense of humor and execution. It’s also legitimate well acted. Fiennes was damn good and Joy gives one of her best to date. Everyone was great though. I will definitely be revisiting and analyzing this one again! Brilliant.
Up until a certain point, this movie is great. When the mystery of what is going on is first unfolding, it is compelling. Then at some point it's mostly revealed what's going on and it starts going through the motions. The commentary is fine for what it is, but I can't put it up there with the best satire by any means. Fiennes and Joy are great, with Fiennes being the highlight. It's always "good" but definitely loses steam. I ate less than I desire, but more than I deserve.
A good comedy but a groan-worthy satire. Average script elevated by great direction and a cast that were seriously way too good for this movie like wow!!!!
If it made a lick of sense, I might be able to consider this well-made. But aside from the impossible logistics of this event (the whole crew, really?), what is the point of view here? Class warfare at all costs? Everybody is an empty vessel, functioning like an ingredient in an exploitation pic that tries its hardest to be socially relevant when all it has is fancy nihilism.

Submitted bydjrossdjross on 01 Aug 2022