Pig
Pig-2021

Pig

2021
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
A truffle hunter who lives alone in the Oregonian wilderness must return to his past in Portland in search of his beloved foraging pig after she is kidnapped.
We weren't able to find any streaming offers for Pig

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley Through the middle of my soul Dont even bother with an "Oh Nicolas Cage is back" review, baby, he never left. That'll do Pig.
After spending about a decade in the bargain bins, Cage seems to have found a stride in movies as bat shit crazy as Cage himself. It remains unclear if Cage has decided he didn't want to fade to obscurity in shitty generic action movies, or if no one really knew how to use an actor who could go full Cage at any moment, but this one was a winner. It isn't the "John Wick" rip off it appears to be, it's a surprisingly deep, contemplative exploration of how people deal with loss.
Pig reminded me of Joe which I also enjoyed. I don't know what precisely needs to be done to get Cage to put in the effort but you can tell this isn't just a cash grab for Nic. Or to put it another way, he isn't just trying to bring home the bacon. ahhhhhhh, there it is.
In one of my favorite written film reviews, the late, great Pauline Kael wrote of Cage in Vampire's Kiss that, "He is an actor before he is a human being". As if by premonition, Nic has been living up to the mantra in every film since, and Pig may be his late career exemplar. It's all high nihilistic fantasy - ’Oedipus at Colonus' with Portland instead of Thebes - but this of course means, with Cage's embodiment of craft, there are a few scenes that may change your life.
That'll do, Nic. That'll do.

Submitted byredotcomREdotcom on 13 Jul 2021