Midsommar
Amazon VideoApple TVShowtime Apple TV ChannelGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store
Kanopy
Max Amazon Channel
Max

2019
Drama, Suspense/Thriller
A couple travels to Sweden to visit a rural hometown's fabled mid-summer festival. What begins as an idyllic retreat quickly devolves into an increasingly violent and bizarre competition at the hands of a pagan cult.
Kanopy
Max Amazon Channel
Max

Okay, so I think I love grief horror. The less you know about this nonsense going into it, the more you'll either love or hate everything about it. All through the movie they would have something happen in the background or not involving the core group of characters and someone will ask what was that (example: skin the fool game) and then later it would have a sinister pay off. My question walking out of this: What WAS "watching Austin Powers" exactly.
Funniest movie of 2019. So what obviously happened here is Ari Aster went to midsummer celebration, had WAY too much aquavit and hooked up with a hot blonde, and now has to spend 2h30min explaining to his partner what happened. "It wasn't my fault, I swear! There were, like, pagan rites and psychedelic mushrooms and herring and I DID WHAT I HAD TO DO TO SURVIVE DAMNIT!" As a remake of the Wicker Man, it's not bad. As a comedy about a clueless American encountering other cultures, it's brilliant.
Ari Aster is back! Went into this film with fairly high expectations and I think they were all met. It's really well shot and edited, and the cinematography and score are beautiful. Pugh is excellent. It is perhaps a tad bit slow in the beginning and it could probably be shorter, but with all of these modern horror films out, this one is probably one of my new favorites. It's not the breath of fresh air that Hereditary was, but it's still very interesting, uncomfortable, and well made.
Aster is a simple director. The opening card lays out the whole story; every rune is an invitation; every picture a window; every shot telling. It's the characters who lie to others, deceive themselves, and reject the obvious - in both hilarious and disturbing ways. At least the cult is upfront about it all - a sense of inevitability, fatality, is palpable. When it comes to communication: the screaming scene was such a masterclass in pacing, acting, tension and release, I felt it in my throat.
The beginning of the movie made me sick. Aster starts the film in total agony and spends the rest of the film working to desensitize us from feeling grief by shining light on his atrocity exhibition. It can almost be considered an inverse-horror. While I find the structure fascinating I can't help but feel let down by the lack of good character development for the group of protagonists who went from "Vacay with the bois" to "Hey lets investigate this murderous cult" all too quickly.

Submitted bydonmezsefadonmezsefa on 21 Jun 2019