Wonder Woman
Wonder-Woman-2017

Wonder Woman

2017
Sci-fi, Fantasy
Before she was Wonder Woman she was Diana, princess of the Amazons, trained warrior. When a pilot crashes and tells of conflict in the outside world, she leaves home to fight a war to end all wars, discovering her full powers and true destiny. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVGoogle Play MoviesVuduNetflixMicrosoft Store
TNT
TBS
tru TV
Netflix basic with Ads
Max Amazon Channel
Max

Competent enough, but there's barely any 'wow' moments to make Wonder Woman truly memorable. Sanitizing WW1 is disappointing but understandable considering its function as The First Decent Kid-Friendly Superheroine Movie. And while it warms my heart-substitute that li'l gals have a Gal to emulate, the slow deflating of plot and logic and reasons to care in the second half ensures this never rises above the basic super-movie-template. Fingers crossed for a future Squirrel Girl flick though.
Let's be honest. Most superhero movies suck, right? Because of that undisputable fact, and because this one is, for once, actually a decent film, many reviewers seem to be under the delusion that it's a near-great film. And, well, I think they're wrong.
The worst remake of Thor I've ever seen. They even botched the ending by making it Captain America. It's not bad throughout, just weird and unconvincing. At times it is really bad. It's never really good. I think the public perception of this movie is further proof that I have no connection to the outside world and probably need to live in a cave. I give up.
Overall, I was entertained, and largely enjoyed everything preceding the final act of this film. Gadot truly embodies a wonderful mixture of poise, wisdom, and naivete in this film and fully earns our attention as viewers. That being said, the film is often clunky in its pacing, and the supporting characters and writing begin to fall off the further the story marches forward. The conclusion is full of insipid CGI mayhem and vacuous platitudes about "love" saving us all. Best DCU since TDK by far
Editing my review now in November 2021. Definitely not the best superhero movie of that year and I initially let myself get overhyped, but it has grown on me after a few viewings. Gadot, while certainly not amazing, is pretty charming at times and embodies the character well enough. The rest of the acting is good and I am glad to see a woman helmed the directing seat for it. Aside from some awful lines and shoddy cgi, it’s honestly pretty well written and made. Not my favorite, but still solid

Submitted bydjrossdjross on 14 Apr 2017