1917
Amazon VideoApple TVfuboTVParamount+ Amazon ChannelShowtime Apple TV ChannelParamount Plus Apple TV Channel
Google Play Movies
1917-2019

1917

2019
Drama, War
Two young British privates during the First World War are given an impossible mission: deliver a message deep in enemy territory that will stop 1,600 men, and one of the soldier's brothers, from walking straight into a deadly trap. (imdb)
Google Play Movies
Vudu
Showtime
Microsoft Store
Showtime Roku Premium Channel
Paramount+ with Showtime

WWI was so gross and dirty (me the historian), I spent 2 hours panicking over how infected that hand is going to be. I wish there wasnt a musical score, the clenching of all ours butts should’ve been enough.
Demanding and tense. The shot design may look like a gimmick from far away but when you're in the trenches it makes perfect sense, elevating the material up to an always-on agitation that makes every moment a menace - the unpredictability and constant threat feel authentic to the war experience. One of the best directed, shot, and acted films of the year that demands your biggest screen and fullest attention.
The format gave it a sense of immediacy, and drew me into the journey. When I see the name Roger Deakins on a film I know there'll be something special happening from a visual perspective. Performances were good. This was tense and atmospheric, even if at time the narrative felt forced to accommodate the format (the intermittent brief appearances from a series of notable Brit character actors was a bit video game-ish), and was at the same time bleak and uplifting. Definitely worth seeing.
You're going to read a lot on here about the long take gimmick and cinematography, but that's not why you come to Paxton for reviews. You need in-depth groundbreaking hot takes. So lets talk about the film's storied weather consultant. Yes, let's talk about Dr. Richard Wild, a man that was walking around college with the name Dick Wild and decided he was going to work to get his doctorate, focus on his passion of meteorology but not have that stop him from working in the movie business. A legend
1917 is perhaps the most meditative war film I have ever seen because of Sam Mendes and Roger Deakins's mastery of mood, and Thomas Newman's score certainly doesn't hurt in adding to it. However, the one-shot technique feels unnecessary to the actual flow and plot of the film, though it certainly is an achievement. Gimmickry aside, this is an astounding film that is worthy of praise because of its central messaging about heroism, unbridled aggression, and who really ends up fighting our wars.

Submitted byebrucavdarliEbruCavdarli on 21 Oct 2019