Jojo Rabbit
Jojo-Rabbit

Jojo Rabbit

2019
Comedy, Drama
A young boy in Hitler's army finds out his mother is hiding a Jewish girl in their home.
Amazon VideoApple TVfuboTVGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store

I was nestled into the softness of comedy before the horrors of war tore me asunder. Fuck off, Hitler.
I was expecting more of a parody of Nazi-Germany and more of a comedy than a coming-of-age story. It's still some good storytelling though. Both of the young leads are quite good, and I loved Rockwell. It's surprisingly heartfelt and touches on topics like family and acceptance very well, which is probably what makes it so good. I laughed often enough at the Taika Waititi humor and felt for the characters too. All in all, this was very good.
Though it left me wanting slightly for more comedic teeth, Jojo Rabbit is an excellent comedy with some great anti-hate messaging.
A compelling damnation and understanding of the indoctrination of youth. While the comedy is present, it's often a bit too black to get a laugh. While it might appear to be a full blooded comedy, it's heavy on the drama and is often too tonally schizophrenic for any one aspect to hit hard enough to count.
You might think it's impossible to make a comedy out of Anne Frank. And you would be correct. Half hour in I thought to myself: "Oh no...I'm not going to like this." From an hour in, I thought "This is mind-bogglingly awful" I couldn't wait for it to end. It's like Wes Anderson's take on Nazi Germany. Ugh. Never laughed, not once. Never smiled, not once. Didn't enjoy a single frame.

37 Collections including 18 Collaborative and 19 Public