Isle of Dogs
Isle-of-Dogs

Isle of Dogs

2018
Comedy, Drama
Set in Japan, Isle of Dogs follows a boy's odyssey in search of his dog. (imdb)
Amazon VideoApple TVDisney PlusGoogle Play MoviesVuduMicrosoft Store

I really didn't find anything in this movie to be lacking. I love Wes Anderson, so maybe that increased my opinion, but the movie is exceptionally animated and the story is thoroughly original and very charming. Some great voice acting and direction boost this above a lot of animated movies I saw this year and last. I found the whole experience to be engaging, cute, funny, and surprisingly heartfelt. A winner for Anderson and for sure worth watching if you haven't seen it yet.
Boy, am I excited to read everyone posting about this film being problematic and the supposed use of the white savior. Let it all pour down over me.
Wes Anderson's aesthetic is choking his stories to death. No wonder for me his best movies are Rushmore, Darjeeling Limited and Moonrise Kingdom. The movies in which his characters and audience alike had time to breath, to be bored for a second and to be, well, ... crooked. Remeber when Bill Murrey is lifting that tent in MK and he can't hold it over his head? That sums up Anderson's dilemma. He is striving for perfection, which he can only find in moments of failure.
Art for Art's Sake*: The Stop Motion Masterpiece. (*a Japanese alcoholic beverage of fermented rice often served hot)
Yule of Dogs as much as Isle of'd it